Followers

Thursday 26 February 2015

TAKE LIFE ONE CUP AT A TIME

Hi Sandie C here, one of the Design Team members.  I thought I would share a quick tutorial on how I decorated the Laser Cut TEA POT and a matching coaster, both designs available from Lisa.

 

TEAPOT

As I have been getting messy with paint recently I thought I'd use paper for this project.  I chose a sheet from my collection of 12x12 and glued it to the tea pot leaving a small overlap which would be trimmed once the glue was dry.  I used PVA but you could use also DecoArt Medium, or other glue of your choice.  I added a contrast paper for the lid and once the glue was dry I gently sanded the edges to remove excess paper and neaten the outline.  

I inked the edges and on this occasion I left the words untreated as I love natural wood and the colour matched the that ink I used.  To finish I sealed it with DecoArt Matt Medium, and attached the words to the teapot using fine fishing line and strong tape.  A strong glue could also be used to attach the fishing line, especially if this is hung in heavy-used areas.

 
 
Finally I tied fishing line to the handle and the lid, so that it could be hung at an angle to give the effect of the teapot being poured.
 
 

 COASTER:

I used a blank MDF coaster from 'That Craft Place' and coated it with paint.  I used PaperArtsy Fresco (Guacamole) as this complimented the paper I was using.  DecoArt paint would also be  good for this project.

 
I also used a set of off-cut laser cut shapes to decorate the coaster.  These are sold by 'That Craft Place' in small affordable bags and I love using these in different ways.  In this instance I thought they would give dimension so I glued a piece of matching paper using PVA and laid the wooden off-cut shapes onto it, smoothing out any air bubbles. 

 
One the glue was dry I cut between the tiles with a sharp craft knife.
 
 
  
 

I trimmed and inked the edges of each tile, then moved them around on the coaster until I was happy with the position.  I then glued them on using Cosmic Shimmer as this is fast acting.  You could also use PVA or DecoArt medium .
 

To finish, I gave two coasts of DecoArt Matt Medium to seal.  I made this for decoration purposes and additional coats of sealer should be added if you wish to use the coaster.
 


With a box of special tea bags (and a mug too if you are feeling generous!) this would make a lovely Mother's Day present. 

All materials for this project are available from THAT CRAFT PLACE and I hope this gives you ideas for decorating your own.  Thank you for popping by. 


SUPPLIES USED:
Laser cut designs from THAT CRAFT PLACE - teapot, coaster, off-cut shapes.
Decorated papers to cover teapot and tiles
Glue - PVA or DecoArt medium for attaching papers.
(Please note: you could use the same glue for attaching the tiles, or use Cosmic Shimmer.  There is no right or wrong, just preference and what you have available).
DecoArt Matt Medium to seal (and to use as glue if liked)
Ink for edging
PaperArtsy Fresco paint.
Fishing line available from angling shops

2 comments:

  1. Totally awesome and I love the coaster...next on my list it goes xxx
    hugs
    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're both gorgeous, Sandie!
    Now I'm in the mood for some tea time! ;)

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10